Google Duo, the free, user-friendly video-calling app from Google. Explore its features and learn how to make the most of your video calls
What is Google Duo?
Google Duo is user-friendly, intuitive video-calling application developed by Google. Simply put, Google Duo serves as a reliable bridge between you and your dear ones, offering the most seamless video-calling experience. Known for its high-definition video quality, Duo is popular for personal as well as professional usage.
This application stands out in its ability to provide uninterrupted video calls even with lower bandwidth, ensuring that geographical distance and internet connectivity issues do not stand in the way of your conversations. Additionally, Duo also supports voice calling and text messaging, making it an all-in-one communication tool.
Features of Google Duo
Diving into the details, Google Duo is adorned with a plethora of features, each designed to make your video-calling experience smoother and more enjoyable, better than a simple chat. From simple call making to a variety of unique elements, Duo is a trailblazer in video-calling technology.
- High-Definition Video and Audio Quality: Google Duo offers 720p HD video quality. Furthermore, it supports Opus audio codec which ensures crystal clear audio output during calls. This makes for a truly immersive call experience, which is as close as it can get to meeting in person.
- Knock Knock Feature: This is an innovative feature where you can see live video of the caller before you answer. This gives you a sneak peek into where they are and what they are up to.
- Group Call: Google Duo allows you to make group calls with up to 32 participants. This makes it an excellent tool for team meetings, family get-togethers, or casual hangouts with friends.
- Video and Voice Messages: If your friends or colleagues aren’t able to answer your call, you can leave a video or voice message. The messages can be up to 30 seconds long, and they’ll automatically disappear after 24 hours.
- End-to-End Encryption: Google Duo takes user privacy seriously. All Duo calls, including group calls, are end-to-end encrypted. This means that nobody else, not even Google, can see or listen to your private conversations.
Google Duo Reviews
Scouring through user reviews, the general sentiment towards Google Duo is predominantly positive, it’s perfect for instant messaging. Most users commend the app’s smooth functionality and user-friendly interface. It has been hailed as a ‘lifesaver’ during the pandemic, enabling people to stay in touch with family and friends despite social distancing measures.
Users are particularly fond of the high-quality video and audio, stating that it significantly enhances the overall call experience. The Knock Knock feature also has its fair share of fans, who appreciate the fun and spontaneity it brings to calls. However, like all products, Google Duo isn’t without its criticisms. Some users have expressed dissatisfaction with occasional technical glitches, such as calls dropping or the video freezing.
Pros and Cons of Google Duo
|High-quality video and audio calls
|Occasional technical glitches
|Supports group calls up to 32 people
|Needs a stable internet connection for best performance
|Unique features like Knock Knock
|Limited features in comparison to some other communication tools
|End-to-end encryption for enhanced privacy
|Cannot send documents or files
Is Google Duo Free?
Good news for all tech enthusiasts and communication lovers out there, Google Duo is absolutely free. Yes, you read it right! All you need is a Google account, a device with a camera and microphone, and an internet connection. There are no hidden charges or premium versions, making it accessible to everyone, regardless of their budget.
It’s worth noting that although the app itself is free, it does use data. If you’re on a limited data plan or have to pay for extra data, you’ll need to keep this in mind. However, Google Duo is designed to use less data than many other video-calling apps, which is another plus point in its favor.
How to Download Google Duo?
Downloading Google Duo is as simple. Head over to Google Play Store (for Android devices) or App Store (for iOS devices), search for ‘Google Duo’, and hit the ‘Install’ button. And voila! You’re ready to dive into the world of crystal clear video-calling.
For those who prefer to use a PC, you can use Duo directly from your browser without any downloads. Just visit the Google Duo website, sign in with your Google account, and start making calls!
How to Install Google Duo on PC?
If you’re a PC user, getting started with Google Duo is a walk in the park. You don’t have to download or install anything. All you need is a web browser and a Google account. Just follow these simple steps:
- Open your preferred web browser and go to the Google Duo website.
- Sign in with your Google account.
- And there you go! You’re ready to start making video calls from your PC.
How to Install Google Duo App for Android?
For Android users, installing Google Duo is a straightforward process. Follow these steps, and you’ll be ready to make video calls in no time:
- Open the Google Play Store app on your Android device.
- Type ‘Google Duo’ in the search bar and select the app from the search results.
- Tap on the ‘Install’ button, and the app will start downloading.
- Once the app is installed, open it and sign in with your Google account. And you’re set!
How to Make a Video Call?
So, you’ve got Google Duo installed and set up on your device. What next? It’s time to start making video calls! Here’s a simple guide to get you started:
- Open the Google Duo app.
- Tap on ‘Video Call’.
- Choose the contact you want to call from your contact list. If they’re not on Duo, you can invite them to join.
- And that’s it! You’re now on a video call. Enjoy your chat!
In conclusion, Google Duo is a powerful, user-friendly video-calling app with a host of exciting features. Whether you want to catch up with friends, have a meeting with colleagues, or just see the face of a loved one, Google Duo has you covered.
Alternatives for Google Duo
Here comes the substitute of Google Talk that is putting things hard to WhatsApp
- Hangouts is a communication platform by Google that offers features like direct messaging, voice calls, and video conferences, enabling individuals and groups to interact in real-time. It seamlessly integrates with Google’s other services such as Gmail and Google Calendar, thus providing a unified communication solution.
Keep closer your friends and family with Skype, a helpful way to video call your beloved ones
- Skype, developed by Microsoft, is one of the pioneer communication services which provides audio and video calling, instant messaging, file sharing, and screen sharing capabilities. It’s used for personal communication, business meetings, and even international calls, with the ability to call landlines and mobiles at relatively low rates..
La nueva versión de Microsoft Office marca un antes y un después. Incluye: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook, FrontPage etc.
- ooVoo was a video chat and an instant messaging app developed by ooVoo LLC. It allowed high-quality video calls with up to 12 people simultaneously, instant messaging, and file sharing. However, the service was discontinued in 2017 and is no longer available.
Ratings about Google Duo
English | Catalan and
Android 5.0, 6.0, 7.0, 8.0, 9.0, 10.0, 11.0
1 year and 7 months ago